Monday, September 19, 2011

Sew Easy DIY Multi-Wear Snap Scarf

I have a super easy DIY project to share that any gal would LOVE!  This is a scarf made out of jersey knit fabric with metal snaps so you can wear it several different ways!  It is perfect for fall! 
You're intrigued right?!?!?

I stumbled upon this idea while looking for a birthday gift for my lovely sister-in-law Amber.  Amber is a self proclaimed 'Yoga Geek' that teaches at the Funky Buddha Yoga Hothouse in Grand Rapids, Michigan (she also blogs about yoga here!).  I was on Lululemon's website and found a Vinyasa Scarf.  It has since been removed from their website (must have been a HOT seller), but here is what it looked like...
  It is a jersey knit scarf with snap buttons along each end, I am not sure what makes it a 'Vinyasa Scarf' but that was it's name.  I thought Amber would love it and I could make one pretty easily (with my own twist on it of course)!  I also thought I'd even like to wear one just for everyday, super cute and I love accessories you can wear multiple ways!

So, let's get started on the tutorial!

You will need: Jersey knit fabric (mine was only $6.99 at JoAnne's), sewing machine, thread, scissors, pins, iron, hammer, measuring tape and 12 snap fasteners (with kit if you don't already have one).

Any jersey knit fabric should work just fine, you can 1.5 yards at JoAnne's Fabric for only $6.99, DEAL!  The piece of fabric I had measured 50"W X 54"L  and then folded in half (in what will be the finished size) to 25"W x 54"L.  With the wrong side out, sew along the length and one end of the width (shown in the white dashed line below).
Once you sew those 2 lines, flip it right side out. 

Then press the seams you just sewed so they are nice, neat, and flat.

Now, you are left with one end that has unfinished edges. (Make sure your other seams are now inside of the scarf).  On this end, you are going to press those unfinished edges in 0.5".

Here is a look at those edges now pressed and folded towards the inside of the scarf.

Once you pin those edges together, you are ready to sew them down into place.

Here is what that end of the scarf will look like.  It is the only part of the scarf where a stitch seam is visible.

 Now, we are done with all the sewing, yay! Time to add the snaps, here are the snap fasteners I picked up at JoAnne's.  They are the 16.875" size, and I had to get the kit since I didn't have that little hammer tool you need.

Measure where you want them placed depending on how many snaps you want.  I did 11 snaps along the side, so they were spaced about 2.375" apart. 

Then grab your fastener tool and hammer those snaps into place. Don't be shy!  Use some FORCE to hammer those babies in place so that they won't come loose when you are snapping/ un-snapping when you wear it.

It is a bit tedious, but super easy to do.  Here are our snaps on each end!

I ended up adding 2 more snaps placed mid way down the scarf (across from the middle (6th) snap) and almost a third of the way in on each end, which measured 17.0".  Here is a little diagram:

The Lululemon version didn't have these extra 2 snaps, it was my BRIGHT idea!  This allows for more ways to wear this scarf!

THAT'S IT! You are done, super easy right?!?! Now to the fun part, let's see how many ways you can wear it...

Here are my favorite ways to wear it!

I counted 11 different ways, but hey, there might be more? Okay, now I need to mail this to my sister-in-law (thanks for letting me show it off on the blog first!).

Happy (late) birthday Amber!  I hope you love this scarf and I hope it comes in handy for your yoga classes (and for super cute everyday wear)! 

Now, time to make another one for me!

I've linked this project up over at Centsational Girl's Fall Craft Party!!!  Stop by! 

 

38 comments:

  1. I love it! I am going to have to do this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice job!!! Who would of ever guessed how talented you are!!! I am impressed. I think I'll make one for me too!! Maybe I'll make it a group project with my girls over some Saturday afternoon. Fun idea, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. Open your own Etsy shop. NOW!! This is so cool, and you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job! I love how you KNEW you could make this-actually I think yours is better :)
    I make drapery for a living but wanted to try my hand at a simple dress and had an absolute BALL making it-only took 2 hours. I blogged about it: www.homecouture.wordpress.com
    Scroll down to June or see : "The Date Dress"
    Love your blog-great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla I love this! I want one too! Or two or three! Problem is I'm not a sewer, boo.

    I propose we have a girl's night in and make a bunch of these? Lauren? Carla? Anyone up for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, Carla! I just love the things you create! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things:

    1. I really want to check out that yoga studio next time I'm in GR.

    2. I LOVE the scarf! I think I need to make one for me and dish some out as Christmas gifts. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. I am definitely going to have to make one for me and all the ladies in my family. They would love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so so much for this tutorial. I wanted the Lulu Vinyasa Scarf but couldn't imagine paying so much $$$ for a basic design. I wanted to see if anyone out in the blogland had tried to DIY this design. You did a great job and gave me the confidence that I can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, just made it today and cannot figure out all the ways to use? I think I might be a little 'scarf challenged'... perhaps a followup 'how to snap' for all the cute ways you showed????

    Yikes-this is for a birthday gift but hope I can show her how to do?

    thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becky! Yes, figuring out how you want to wear it is a little tricky, I ended up playing with it for probably an hour :) I will have to keep that in mind to write a post about all the ways to wear it, good idea! Means I might have to sew a few more, maybe one for a giveaway!

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. So glad I found this, Christmas gift making here I come. Thanks for sharing!

    Girlfriends Are Like Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea for a couple friends of mine who get chilly easily. I picked up at Goodwill 2 pieces of 3 yds each knit fabric for 50 cents each. Can't wait to make this scarf,then you for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found your blog post through an image search of the lulu scarf. They now make it in a new material for $48. The price is a bit high for me, so I was ecstatic to find your DIY version. Your instructions are great, very easy to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever are you? Super clever, that's how. I have a vinyasa scarf, for which I paid almost 10x what yours cost to make. This yoga geek feels a little silly now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous tutorial! I just couldn't bring myself to pay almost $50 for this scarf...no matter how much I love it. I live in Vancouver and so I was able to find actual Lululemon material at my local fabric store! Even though the cost was a little higher I decided that at $9.99/yd this supersoft Bamboo soy material was totally worth the price and was still a steal compared to the real thing. Thanks for putting up this tutorial and saving me a ton of money and I hope you don't mind that I featured it on my blog (crediting you of course)!!
    http://onelifetoloveproject.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome you featured it on your blog! I always think it is fun to share ideas and inspiration with others! Great post and I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for this! I blogged about it here http://www.prepperyogini.com/2012/06/diy-vinyasa-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you make these and sell them? I don't have time to make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no I don't make any to sell :( I myself don't have the time to crank out a ton to sell. I think Lulu Lemon started selling them again, they must have found my tutorial, LOL!

      Delete
  19. Great tutorial! Just made one for myself, but I am also having trouble figuring out how to wear it. I can't seem to get mine to look anything like yours. Have you thought more about a post that shows the different ways to wear it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've actually had a few people ask, maybe I should write up a "how to wear it" tutorial? I might have to do a video though? Thanks for the idea and I will have to start working on something, with that I need to make another one for myself, I have given them all away as gifts, LOL!

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for your tutorial! I made one too and posted it on my blog (linking it back to your tutorial, of course!) If you have a chance, come check it out! So far I am only wearing it two ways! LOL!

    my blog: http://bsquaredco.blogspot.ca/2012/08/diy-lululemon-vinyasa-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look great in it! I'd love to see a striped one! Your blog is adorable--cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. One question: Do you actually need a yard and a half or can you get away with just using one yard? Btw- I am so thankful for you right now. If it only takes a yard I could buy enough material to make 4 of them vs. just buying one from LULU. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it with 1 yard, it just won't wrap around you as much, you know? The length is just how long it ends up. I have made shorter ones, they just fit differently than my photos. Good luck! You will love it and glad you found my blog :)

      Delete
  23. Good for you! I have the Lululemon "Vinyasa Scarf", it is good too, I never really know how to wear it. I have it in a grey neutral color so maybe I will make it in a fun color.

    F.Y.I the Vinyasa Scarf actually uses grey "snap tape" and not individual snaps, it would go together super quick if you could find snap tape. At least with your version you could use colored snaps and make it contrasting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. MUJI sells a similar item called the Multicape. I also could not bring myself to pay 50 euros for a scarf with buttons. But then I've been too lazy to make buttonholes and have my own ... Snaps is the perfect solution!
    MUJI also has an instructional drawing that shows the various ways they recommend wearing it; unfortunately, it appears only half of it is available on the internet. A couple more ideas for you, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH...MY...GOSH i just saw this last night and was so excited to start making is that I didn't go to bed tell 2am. This is a wonderful tutorial. thank you so much. One question those to extra snaps up put in the inside. Do I place them on the same side as the others.?

    ReplyDelete
  26. My friend had one of these (bought from Lululemon) and I loved it..found your blog when searching for a cheap one! My first try was a little rocky. I found that the double fabric was a little thick for me (I know one person said she didn't sew so that would take care of that!) Instead of sewing around the edges..I just cut the fabric in to pieces and then put the buttons on! No sewing necessary! B/c of the jersey knit fabric it won't fray. Worked much better for me! Thanks for the tutorial! I love the 2 extra snaps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have also made a 'no-sew' version, I used thicker sweatshirt kind of fabric, made it warm and snuggly too! Glad you liked the tutorial!

      Delete
  27. Just made this--a couple of thoughts--
    using 1.5 yards of fabric it was more snug than the one at lulu, and you can't do all of the wraps (I am a size 6-8 and only 5 feet tall), so I would do a yard and 3/4. Also, I found the materials to be much more expensive--$12.99/yard for fabric (so $20 of fabric alone--you will need your 50% off coupon!) and about $7 for the snaps. My total with a coupon was about $17, so still much cheaper than Lulu.

    If I do it again, I will need to get more fabric--this one just isn't quite right. . .
    that said, I love the fabric I got (lulu had a neon pink that was rather pukey--if they had a better color, I'd probably just spend the $48 to get it right the first time)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Would you please clarify how the extra snaps go? Which half do you use, socket or stud, and on which side? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Here is my attempt. http://shallowthoughtsfromiowa.blogspot.com/2013/06/diy-vinyasa-scarf-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Lululemon things but they are ridiculously over-priced, especially this scarf! Apparently it's back but the quality doesn't meet up to the standards of the old version. I fortunately can sew and appreciate you mapping out the how-to for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am also curious about the extra snaps and which way they should go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for posting this tutorial. I got the urge to make one (or more!) after seeing my hairstylist's lululemon scarf. Hers was made of a single layer of medium-heavy weight knit. I think I will do the same both to reduce the amount of fabric needed and to keep it from being too warm. I live in Seattle, so I don't need it to be super-warm. As someone else mentioned, the lululemon scarf has snap tape, so I will look for that, too. Hopefully, I can find it in a coordinating color, otherwise, I'll get a snap kit.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?